[DL] Re: alternate start up

One alternate character option I liked was that the characters got their
standard skill points (Cog + Knowl + Smarts), but in addition they got
equivalent points to spend but only under skills associated with those
traits.  Also the extra points could not be used for any AB specific skills.

Ex.  Harry's going to be a Mad Scientist.  His die types are Cognition=D8,
Knowledge=D12, and Smarts=D10.  He has 30 points to spend on any skills he
wants.  He also has 8 points to spend on Cognition based skills, 12 points
to spend on Knowledge based skills, and 10 points to spend on Smarts based
skills.  He can't use his extra Knowledge points to buy Mad Science because
it is a skill only for use with his AB.  He can use those points to buy
extra Science skills since those have other uses than just for his AB.  On
that same track, he can also use his extra points in Smarts to buy Tinkerin'
since that affects any device not just Mad Science ones.

As far as I can tell the example above is about as beneficial as this option
can be to a PC.  Overall, it just aids the players to round out their
characters with some non-combat skills.

Anyway, my 2 (Confederate) cents,

Clint Black