[DL] The Whateleys

First, one of the branches of the Whateleys is the
Duponts. Are they in anyway related to the company
that makes chemical products, or is this just an
unfortunate coincidence?
Second, another branch is the Curwens. Wasn't this the
surname of the notorious ancestor in H.P. Lovecraft's
"The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" (I'd look this up
myself, but I seem to have misplaced my copy)?

=====
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress.