RE: [DL] Double Rifle?

At this time the true big game hunters were the wealthy elite and would have fire arms custom made for them.  The H&H Nitro express (1889) was one of the first alternatives to the custom 10 gauge rifle. (yes 10 guage, as in 10 bullets to the pound.)  The big game rifles are meant to be used at less than 150 yards so are not terribly accruate, after all to be manly you need to kill the beast up close and personal.  If you want accuracy with good hitting power you probably want something like the sharps which you mentioned, a ballard, a berdan, or a remington rolling block, good solid single shot, cartridge fed firearms.  As for the Whitworth, yes it was the precision firearm of its time, but as a muzzle loader it was being surpased as the accuracy leader by the above listed firearms by this time.

g'day
kevin jameson