[DL] Learning a new system (was Re: Map of Denver)

--- Grand Master Nilus of the Dark Angel Chapter
<grandmasternilus@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You know I have no trouble with D20 but I hate the
> "I don't want to learn a
> new system" complaint.  Its a Game system...Not
> Rocket Scientist.  I've
> found that most people who don't like learning new
> systems, don't like to
> because they won't know how to munchkin out a
> character right away.

not true in my case, but i might be unique
i loathe d20 because it's TOO EASY to munchkin out a
character
i just don't like level-based rpg architecture, i
prefer point-based, both are munchkin-able but it's
easier with a point system to look at the point value
of a character and say "okay, he's supposed to be
tougher than that, so i'll send that after him
instead"
i know it's not that simple, i'm simplifying my
argument actually, but someone could easily say the
same thing about level-based games and i don't think
it's as true because a 7th-level PC is usually ALOT
stronger than 10th-level NPC simply because through
the experience of being played the 7th-level character
has more magic items or what-have-you
it's easy for either side of the d20 vs. "other system
here" to make disparaging comments about either, no
game system is perfect
and since EVERY SINGLE new supplement at my rpg stopre
is d20-related i think the market will be
oversaturated soon enough and "other system here" will
make a comeback...

...plus, d20 sucks
-doc