Re: [DL] The Munchkin Twins

> Hi,
>
> The link you sent was for contemporary (modern day) speed loaders. Since
> there is no historical information on this site it doesn't answer my
> question. A quick Google search doesn't result in any information
> concerning the history of the speed loader. I guess it's off to the library.

The were no speed loaders per se in the Old West.  What the author was
attempting to convey was the action of completely swapping the cylinders
of the pistols - removing the old cylinder and putting in a fully loaded
one.

This was mostly done with cap and ball pistols, for obvious reasons.
Unfortunately,  the few western era cartridge pistols that I have seen
and/or handled were not designed to allow someone to easily swap out the
cylinder.

For this reason, and for the reason that speedloaders just don't feel very
mythic western to me, I don't use them in my game unless it's a facet of
mad science.

I will state that I don't know the mechanical details of the break open
pistols.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com