[DL] Related Aptitudes

My gaming group has just recentely started playing Deadlands.

Regarding Aptitudes, we've decided that for our game, instead of being able to
buy similar skills at the same level for only 3 points, a player must simply
spend the normal amount of points to raise the skill.

Ex: Bob has 5d6 Pistol
Instead of paying 3 points for 5d6 shotgun; Bob must pay 5 points, the same as
he had to spend to raise his pistol that high.

We do this in an attempt to keep the skills more varied amoung the posse.

My question is, has anyone else used a rule similar to this, and if so, did it
work out well?

Bill