Re: [DL] autopsies

>     The practice of autopsies was hardly unheard of in the late 19th
>century.  One of the sailors in the lost Franklin expedition (c. 1845) was
>autopsied though I don't know if it was by the expedition's surgeon or a
>few
>years later by the people looking for Franklin and company.  I have also
>seen references to autopsies being done in France as early as 1715.  How
>common were they?  I don't know

Well What is an Autopsie really.  Its just someone relatively familier with
the humna body, cutting open a corpse and trying to guess how they died.
Although its probably not the same thing we do today, I'm betting someone
with a surgery skill could cut open a corpse and take a guess as to how they
died.

Dan