RE: d20 Initiative (was [DL] Re: [WW] Re: Systems [Veering OT])

refocusing gives you something to do if you can't think of anything else to
do.  If you have something to do, be it attack, cast a useful spell, or run
like heck, do it.  But if the GM asks you for your actoin and you say,
"uhhhhhhhhh..." the best thing to do is either Delay or refocus.
That's pretty much it, and the game designers have said as much.

Improvied init is only of use to rogues who can surprise strike, because it
gives they a higher chance of going before the foes get their first action
and thus are no longer flat-footed.

Other than that, you are correct, after a while there is no difference
between going last in one round and going first in the next.