Re: [DL] Test - quiet time - survey time!

--- Jay <jayg@penn.com> wrote:

> >I'm a fan of the arcane types in DL. So what is
> >everyone's favorite hex/miracle/gift/ritual or
> >whatever? How about favorite combination of the
> above?
> >
> My favorite arcane goodies has to be the Corporeal
> Twist and Mental
> Twist hexes.  Nothing better than Twisting the bad
> a## harrowed
> corporeal traits down to nothing.   The Tweaks are
> good too.

I like the mental versions of those.  Try Tweaking
your Spirit up to 3d12+6 and THEN doing Soul Blast...
ouch.

> I'm much more of a fan of the utility hexes over the
> big damage ones.
>
> As for my favorite combo of hexes, it would have to
> be Corporeal Twist
> (Vigor) and Likker Up.  Easy to sneak into places
> when the guards are
> all drunk...

My all-time favorite combo is one I've used exactly
once - Predator/Slow-Burn.  I play Malachi Shepherd, a
war-damaged Syker who'd spent much of the game Loco,
with the delusion that he is a member of Simon's
Templer Order.  He's feeling much better now, for what
it's worth.  Shepherd looks like Samuel L. Jackson at
his angriest and most determined.

Anyway, during a session where several of the players
were going to be late, our GM ran a one-on-one
situation in which a road gang had stumbled upon some
still-functional powered battle armor that the (new)
leader of them knew how to work and planned to use it
to attack a small survivor settlement in Wyoming.  We
decided that Shepherd was scouting out the town to see
if it was worth defending (the delusions have passed
but the committment to Templer ideals remains.  Go
figure.)

The GM decided to run a probing attack on the town
using the battle armor, more to show how bad the stuff
was that anything else, I think.  So, noting the Big
Britches and Heroic Hindrances on my sheet, I had
Shepherd do the only logical thing.  He walked outside
the town walls to confront the bad guys.

There was a fun little exchange between the town mayor
and Shepherd that led to the birth of a campaign
slogan:

Mayor: "Oh God, they're going to kill us all!"
Shepherd: "No they won't.  You and your people will be
safe."
Mayor: "Are you insane?  Why should we believe that?"
Shepherd: "Because I say so."  Walks outside.

The Battle-Armor "fee-fi-fo's" up and I have Shepherd
trigger and maintain two powers.  Predator and Slow
Burn.  However, I asked the GM if I could specifically
focus the Predator power on the light beam being
produced by the Slow Burn.  After a bit of thought he
says yes, but the Strain of each power will be
doubled.

So, I start them up.  Shepherd and the leader exchange
threats (while he builds the powers).  Ultimately this
culminates in a "Who the hell ARE you?" from the
leader.

"I am Justice.  I am Fate.  I am what happens to
tinpot scum like yourselves when you begin to suffer
from delusions of adequacy.  I am the Shithammer of
God swinging down from Heaven to smash you back into
the wastelands that spawned you.  There comes a time
when fear, greed and evil must be redressed.  The time
is now, the place is here and God help anyone who gets
in my way."

At which point Shepherd unleashed a 7d10 AP Slow Burn
that did a very scary 93 points of damage (from acing)
and turned "Robo-robber" into a smoking crater.  This
action was followed by the use of "Now the rest of you
worthless sons o' bitches best clear outta here and
never come back, or I will destroy you from off the
face of this earth."  One (heavily modified) Overawe
roll later, and the Broken bandits fled into the
countryside.

I blew every point of Strain I had on that one attack,
but damn if it wasn't worth it.  I figure it's not
whether you win or lose, but whether you look damn
cool doing it.