[DL] AW: RE: Hiya and here is what I found (maybe some spoilers)

> Which of the HOE books would be the most important reading for us Weird
> West marshals? I'm not planning on starting to run HOE, I'd merely like to
> check out the background material for WW they've stuck into them.

Well, I don't think that any of those is important - I have the Rulebook and The Wasted West and I just bought those in case we ever want to try HOE.
I found the development of the Timeline in Wasted West quite interesting, but naturally, it focused on the recent years of the distant future (;-) ). Hell, it doesn't even mention when the Civil War ended.
So if you're looking for immediate things to incorporate into your WW-campaign, you shouldn't need any of the green books.

There are revelations about some Big Secrets here and there, but it's  highly unlikely that the players are going to solve these 200 years before they are meant to be.

> So, basically, after 1889, people stop using Mad Scientist Gizmos, because
> the Manitou inspiration?

No, since the HOE Rulebook mentioned that the Manitous stopped whispering not before July 3rd, 2081 (I think) - the days, the bombs fell.
Most scientist laughed at the notion that their genius may be inspired by some demon from hell.

> > >The Battle of 10 000 Arrows and the Great Summoning.
> >  It really deals with Custer mustering an army of mercenaries drove
> > deep into Sioux territory in response to an indian attack, some would
> > say that it was staged by Custers men.
>
> Thanks. This was quite enlightening.

I was thinking about using this battle in 1878 or early 1879, after the Events of Dead President. But right now, we're stuck on Christmas Eve in 1876, so that's a long way to go.
One thing that bothers me though: in the Players Guide, Custers army is already mentioned. Then again in ToT:1877 - so what is he doing two more years? Maybe I'll have the fighting start early. depends really on my posse and what they are going to play. Right now, it's pretty Southern.

Markus