[DL] raising attributes

Greetings all,

  Question for you.  I was talking with a fellow player a while back and he made a comment.  I was saying I wanted to take a (regular) character's skill or attribute to D12+2 (from just D12).  He said since my character wasn't harrowed, it was too late for just regular character improvement.  Now if some artifact or quest causes it I could, but not otherwise according to the rules.  He also claimed that the only way "regular" characters could have the D12+ attributes/skills is they HAVE to take the Veteran of the Weird West Edge and spend the points.  Ok, I can see the logic in that, but what is the point ratio?  Because isn't suppose to be something like 24 points (or higher) to raise the D12?  He also claimed that this was all in the books, somewhere.  Now, I have read almost all the books, but I can't find anything to support this.
Suggestions anyone?  Thanks.