Re: [DL] playing different ethnicities (was Re: playing injuns)

>what about the rest of you? do you usually play
>characters that are the same ethnicity as yourself?
>how often do you play an ethnically different
>character, especially in games that offer human as the
>only race?

My Friends have said that I have a Spanish/Mexican fetish with my
characters.  If I play a swashbuckler type, He's usually a Latino lover
type(or Latino fool type, who tries to be a lover).  I also had a Super hero
in Brave New World name El Diablo Con Accelerando(which I'm not even sure is
spanish, but it sounded close enough for my group).

In Deadlands I played a Escape Slave turned Union Soldier turned Deserter.
I didn't play up any major african American stereotypes(I didn't talk like
Jim from Huck Finn),  and it was a good role playing experience playing a
minority.

I also think playing th opposite sex is fun once and a while.  Role Playing
is about being something your not.  If there was ever a medium where you can
pretend to be Black, White, Hispanic, Jewish, Chinese, or anything else it
would be role playing.  but remeber playing a different ethnicity doesn't
give you permission to pretend your a offensive stereo type.

Dan