Re: [DL] Firearms in the Civil War

At 04:52 PM 6/1/2002, Pan Jerzy Cichocki wrote:
>Howdy!

         Howdy back!

>  What kind of rifles was in use in infantry in both army in the Civil War
> period?

         Well, first off, in America we call it either "The War of Northern
Aggression" or "The War to Curb Yankee Arrogance.":-):-):-):-)

         But seriously, both sides went through a period early in The War
where soldiers were issued whatever weapons could be had, and at battles
like First Manassas troops had everything from "modern" Model 1855 rifled
muskets to smoothbore flintlock muskets from the Age of Napoleon.
         Eventually, the North standardized on the Springfield rifle
musket, either the Model 1861 or Model 1863. The South had, by the end of
the winter of 1862, at least gotten all its soldiers some type of rifle
musket, but the range of models was still wide.
         The 1853 Enfield rifle musket (imported from the British) was the
most common Southern weapon, followed closely by captured Springfields.
Confederate soldiers in the West also carried a large number of Lorenz
rifle muskets, imported from Austria.

>Thanks in advice,

         You're most welcome, and I hope this helped!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance RPG Writer At-Large
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_