RE: [DL] Damage

OK, someone tell me if I am wrong, but when I normally play poker and create a hand and I am playing say 7 card draw, I only use 5 cards to create the hand.

So wouldn't the Flush be the only damage? The three of a kind does not matter since its less than a flush. However, I suppose you could use the jokers as wild and create some other hand depending on the cards.  But the biggest thing is that I don't think this is correct damage calculations for the game. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Payton [mailto:cougar_1877@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 12:51 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Damage

 <<What was the largest amount of damage anyone has suffered or dealt?>>

Picture this...posse is in a magic amplification zone.  In game terms, this translates to triple spell effects as well as triple backlash potentional (6 jokers in deck) and damage.  Add into this mix a tempest (wild mage) with the potential for a soul blast level 5 (all hexes and levels for her are random) and just plain damn lucky on all draws.  Needless to say, the villian substantially pissed the Tempest off by killing her buddy, so the player rolled for her spell (Soul Blast level 5) and pulled his cards.  Remember that luck?  I'll be damned if he didn't pull a natural royal flush and three jokers.  The normal damage for this hand is 6d20 for the royal flush and an additional 4d12 for the three of a kind.  Then times all of that by 3.  The damage of the spell alone was 326 points of damage.  But don't forget about those three jokers.  I, as the marshal, rolled three d20 on the backlash table.  The result! s...18, 20, 20, i.e. catastrophic failure of the spell and the huckster takes 3d6 damage to the guts...three times and then multiplied by three.  After all the rolls were in (I have never rolled so many 6s in my life!), the poor sot suffered approx. 500 pts of damage directly to the guts.  No more tempest.  But the destruction didn't end there.  Remember the catastrophic failure part?  Lets just say that the hex prepared by the tempest slammed into the hex being cast by the villian causing a tear in the fabric of reality, subsequently opening a black hole in the middle of town.  All of the townfolks and every living thing in a five mile radius was sucked into oblivion.  A hell of a lot of fate chips and a benevolent marshal managed to save some of the posse, but the once Arizona canyon country is now flat as Kansas and is a magic and spirit dead zone.  Best damn ending to a campaign I have ever run!

Mary