Re: [DL] Re: Am I crazy??

On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 12:28  AM, allensh wrote:
> I am going to start working on the d20 Deadlands
> materials; frankly, while I like the original game, I
> think the d20 version will fly better with my players;
> faster-paced and more familiar to them. I am
> definitley interested in the Way Of series, and Lone
> Stars is definitley on my list :)

I regularly hear this, and can't see it being true except at very low
levels. Yes, a full round of Deadlands Classic combat takes a while, but
most mooks can be taken down with a good shot from even average base
heroes... They don't have the hit points to absorb hits like D&D
characters.

Also, D20 rules has a tendency to make everyone think 'junior tactician'
and begin planning as such. If I run d20, or any game using a battle
mat, I will definitely be enforcing maximum times to think about actions
before losing them.

I really don't want this to turn into the usual flame-war. I like the
d20 core... I just don't think it works for genres where one lucky shot
should be able to take down most targets. For D&D, it works great and is
very fun... It's the best set of D&D rules I've seen, and allows the
role-players and hack'n'slashers to go to coexist peacefully.

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)