RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I think the best answer is a Reckoner induced plague eating through Grant's Army - to some extent this happens anyway, I'd have simply made it worse. Extending the war is obviously something the Reckoners want.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. [mailto:sosentinel@adelphia.net]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 11:48 a.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 07:33 PM 7/31/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>Heck - don't read too much into my criticisms, its a really good piece of
>work its just that this one thing jars a little.

         No explanations necessary, good sir. I'm glad to hear from someone
who cares enough about historical accuracy to hold our feet to the fire on it.

>  IMHO if the South wasn't certain to lose they wouldn't have done it. I
> do admit I haven't read "Back East - the South" so maybe theres more to
> it that I understood.

         I agree with what you're saying, and had it been my choice to make
(the date for manumission is set in the main DL book; when it came time for
me to do TOT, all I could do was try to explain it), I would've chosen
another, later date.
         The problem I found as I was fighting the DL version of The War
(using Victory Games' classic wargame version) was that if events delay the
use of black Confederate troops, it gets REALLY hard to explain how the
CSA's still around in 1876. Weighing my options, moving up manumission (and
having it happen at all, as you so rightly point out) was the most credible
of several less-credible alternatives (Cthulhu eats the Army of the
Potomac, etc.:-)).

>I know slavery etc isn't fun, but the black NPCs in the scenarios I've
>read seem to walk around as if slavery never happened at all, while the
>Chinese & Indians still get treated with disdain.

         An excellent point.

         Thanks for the posts, good sir!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_