RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 04:52 PM 8/1/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>Of course the common soldier did not take up arms to defend slavery, but
>they didn't take up arms to defend a principle either. They took up arms
>to defend their homes when the Union invaded.

         This is a major revision of your stated thesis that "The South"
(with no exceptions) was defending the "States' Rights" to hold slavery.

>The only right that the Union government was threatening to take away from
>the Southern states was the right to hold slaves, thus slavery was the
>cause of the war.

         Slavery was the cause of secession. Lincoln was the cause of The
War. The South was quite content to leave the Union peacefully.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_