[DL] First (?) Total Posse Kill [long story about our last adventure]

So, yesterday, it finally happened. I'm pretty sure for the first time. 4
Characters went into a situation, none came out alive.
It was during the climax of "The Crucible" (the adventure in the back of
Smith & Robards). I tweaked it a bit though, and changed the background
story to play in the CSA, the final stop of a Dixie Rail line being Roswell.

Let me spin the tale for you... and don't worry, I'll add Spoiler warnings
when I possibly reveal too much.

So, we started in Dallas, Texas, on a Sunday in February 1877. Two of the
posse attend church. One because he's religious, the other because the evil
voices he always hears since a little "incident" in the Canadian woods only
quit down while he's on holy ground.
Outside waits the gunslinger with their guns.

So I guess, I should introduce them a bit: Already mentioned, the
gunslinger, called William P. Hayes, former Captain of the 27th Mississippi
Regiment, Company D - a sniper company. He fought for 14 years (!) in the
war until he finally had had enough and left. He turned to the outlaw life
but only recently he made it into the "upper class of scum" when he shot CS
Major who recognised and wanted to arrest him.
With him is Ralph Bonham, Canadian from Quebec. He learned the Hexslinging
Business from Doc Holliday a few years ago. When he went back to his
hometown he saved a lady from a drunken attacker. Unfortunately, he killed
the assailant. Fortunately, he was acquitted. Unfortunately (again), the
dead guy was the son of Octavien Rolland - the richest man in Quebec. He
puts a pricetag on Ralph's Head and Ralph decides that he always prefered
the American way of life and moves south.
Third, we have Dave Sparks, Mad Scientist and Member of the Agency (what
the rest of the posse doesn't know). He's on an assigment to go south and
gather intelligence on the movement of the Mexican troops.
The fourth is a Halfblood-Zuni Indian with a dog as his sidekick (the dog
having the traditional old indian name "Buddy"). He calls himself Flaming
Wolf. He entered the adventure just in time to die. But I'm disgressing.

When the bells are ringing again and the people come out of the church,
somebody falls down. Then another. And another. A bullet strays Hayes, so
he finally get's it: Someone is shooting at the good people of Dallas (and
at the two player characters as well!). The noise of the bells is so loud
that the shots can't be heard. But after a few more seconds, panic rises.
Some push the people back into the church, some want to get out. The heroes
somehow manage to get out. A few more shots and wounded later they figure
out that the shots come from the clock tower of the mayor's office. The run
there , up the stairs and try to stop the assassin. But he pulled the
ladder up, so they can't easily reach him.
They're not the type of guys who would negotiate, so they rather throw the
Shootist up - he takes a shotgun blast into the chest, but manages to fires
of 4 shots, hitting with three, severly wounding the assassin.
They take him down and give him to the Texas Rangers.
One of them recognises Hayes, but the Texas Rangers Captain let's him go...
for now.

	("But Captain, that's the killer Hayes!" - "No, he's not, Private. Not
Today. Today he's someone who helped the Texas Rangers out. And we won't
owe anything to someone of his kind, now would we? Tomorrow - that's
another story. But he'll be probably long gone before them, I reckon'.")

They heroes get the hint and prepare to leave. After Bonham gets his wound
stitched up from a local sawbones, they are apporached by Private Elbert
Steen. His CO wants to talk to them.
Now the adventure really starts: Lt. Larkin hires the characters as extra
guns, since most of his men were wounded or killed in an explosion last
night. He asked for reinforcements at the Texas Ranger Company HQ, but the
two acts of terrorism (Bomb yesterday, Gunman this morning) leaves the
Captain with no man to spare.
The characters glady agree - it's a cheap and easy way to get out of Texas.

Now, here's where the SPOILERs begin...

SPOILERS

Allright, let's cut to the chase, now, shall we?
The posse loses the cannon as well as three of the soldiers in the
Devilsbattack. They all survive the train wreckage at their arrival at Fort
Clark.

There, the posse manages to get a few insights of the Fort Clark Soap Opera
(mostly because of Prv. Steen). They're not really that uncomfortable, when
he is found dead after the first night. Well, they already went through
some trouble and kind of expect that it follows them. Reluctantly at first,
they start an investigation. After they find the first clues and especially
after the second murder, they get more suspicious and encouraged to dig a
little deeper.

They find the Ghostrock-chip near Robbins body - as well as the letter,
which they show to the Colonel only. He has Lt. Goree arrested so that his
guilt may be determined by a court martial.

Sparks, our Mad Scientist Agent wanders off alone the next morning, curious
about tht Ghostrock thing... So he walks into Dr. Roberts Workshop and
starts to look a bit around. He finds the Rockdevil hiding in the
Ghostrockbin and opens fire. The Devil hits him one or twice with his
claws, but all damage is chipped. When some of the other players as well as
the sergeant appears at the scene, the Rock Devil has shadowalked into
hiding - Dr. Robert claims, that he didn't really saw anything except that
Sparks was shooting at the Ghostrock ("You must never shoot at Ghostrock!
Didn't they teach you anythin' at you fancy university!?") Sparks claims
that he saw something and that he was attacked - but, as one of the players
points out: "Then how come, you don't even have a scratch?" Nobody believes
Sparks, and instead think that he was a bit jumpy - understandable, given
the murders and all...

So, the next night the tank opens fire and all hell breaks loose.
Now it gets really interesting:
Sparks runs out into the yard, takes a few moment to assess the situation
and runs back for his flamethrower. Wolf runs back to the workshop - not
because he thinks that something sinister is going on there, but rather
that this building should hold the longest against the tanks shells.

Now, Bonham opens fire at the tank with his rifle, while the vehicle takes
out the Steam Gatling on one of the towers, installed the very same day by
Sparks (he salvaged the one from the train). He hopes to take out the driver.
Hayes takes it a step further - he charges the tank with dynamite in his
hands. He makes it, dodging the Steam Gatling Bullets, only to be caught by
a few rounds of the rifles of two of the tank's crew who fire out their
vision slits. Bonham kills the driver and the gunner with extremly
well-placed shots and Hayes manages to kill one of the other two, severly
wounding the fourth. He climbs up the tank, opens the hatch and throws the
dynamite in. Then he runs as fast as he can - he's still caught by a
massive explosion, but is relatively unhurt.

In the meantime, Wolf sees the Wichita Witches sneak in through the tunnel
- he opens fire with his bow, when suddenlx the Rockdevil drops from the
ceiling and attacks him. Wolf is "saved" by a few shotgun blasts who
destroy the Rockdevil, but hurt him as well. He misses his Vigor-roll for
the shock-test and stares down the barrel of a peacemaker of one of the
witches. Seconds later, he has a nice round hole in his chest and is
bleeding fast and out of wind. The Witches let him lay in his blood and
move on.

Sparks is finally back with his flamethrower He opes fire and catches the
Witches off guard - killing 3 of them with one burst. Unfortunately, three
fire back at him, one being Esmeralda, wo throws Bolts of Doom. Two or
three rounds later, a "high-energy"-bolt crushes his chest and kills him.

Bonham is finished with the tank, so he turns around and ducks into cover.
He has four Witches to face, the rest are taken care of by the other
soldiers. But he concentrates his fire on the false witch - while she falls
lifeless to the ground, a Bolt o' Doom from Esmeralda hits him square in
the chest, killing him on the spot.

Hayes comes back into the fort and opens fire, but he is wounded, and
tired, and he goes down with multiple gunshot wounds. He takes two of the
witches with him before he loses consciesness - and then he bleeds to death.

In the workshop Flame wakes up again - only to see Dr. Roberts standing
above him. He tries to reach for him and to ask for his help - when he
realizes that Roberts isn#t here to help. Roberts swings a big axe down at
Wolf - and botches, hitting his leg and cutting a deep wound.

Buddy, Wolf's dog comes to him and watches as his master slowly dies, lying
next to Roberts, who's bleeding to death as well - since none of the
Witches care for him.

That was the end of the posse, as well of the fort. The Witches won the
battle but took heavy losses themselves. So they retreat and leave the dead
behind.

Two days later, an armored Dixie Rail train arrives, bringing
reinforcements - they will find only two survivors: both the Indian and the
Agent drew Jokers and came back.

So, I hope you enjoyed that! ;-)

Markus