From: Elliott Wong [mailto:ferricfoot@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, 4 August 2002 7:41 a.m.
To: deadlands-digest@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] Starting a Game

I'm looking to start a Deadlands campaign in the fall
and would like some advice.

I own a copy of the original Deadlands the Weird West
RPG (1996) and know that there's now a Player's
Handbook and a Marshall's Book as well. To further
complicate matters, I know that there is a d20
conversion of the rules as well.

So... what should I do? un a game with the books that
I have? Get the updated rules and run that? Get the
d20 books and go that route?

I have not actually run a Deadlands game but have
gamed extensively with xD&D, Palladium, Twilight 2000,
and Call of Cthulhu.

My players will be relatively new to roleplay and will
not know the Deadlands system at all and will probably
have some knowledge of D&D 3E.

Having gone through the rulebook, I think the use of
playing cards and poker chips is charming and adds
character to the game (still not sure how hexes work,
but I'll re-read the section). Don't know if d20
excludes these devices but it would be a shame if they
did.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Elliott