Re: [DL] Laudanum

| Are there game stats for laudanum?  Right now, since it lasts for four
hours a dose, I would say that it |ignores up to -4 in wound penalties for
the first hour, dropping off by one (-3, -2, then -1) for each hour
|afterwards.  It also gives a consistant -2 to Cognition rolls while under
the influence.  Would this be |about right?

As far as game stats, what you posted would be fine for someone on medicinal
levels of opiates. But recreational users of opiates would be much more
impaired. Recreational users will frequently use 10-20 times the recommended
dose. For an opium (in any form) addict I'd go with the following while
they're under it's effects (which will be almost constantly); ignore all
wound penalties while under its effects. Cognition, Smarts, Wits, Deftness,
Mein, Nimbleness, and Quickness, all at -8. In addition I'd make them make a
Hard Spirit check every few minutes to keep from "nodding out" (at which
point they'd basically be unconscious until someone tries to wake them,
which would require a Fair Spirit check to wake them and they'll be mad at
whoever did it because they ruined their "nod"!).
As you can see, a true opium addict is pretty much unplayable. Which is as
it should be, opium addicts are not able to function in normal society (at
least not if they are still getting "high", if they are only on maintenance
levels of opiates then I'd go with the stats you posted. But make the addict
make a Spirit check every day to keep from relapsing and going back to his
old ways (level of check would vary depending on stress and other things
happening in the characters life).

Eric Young
1st Mass Cav
Co B