Re: [DL] (Off topic) an idea for a new RPG alter Earth world

Hi,
    A couple of suggestions.  First off, as a historian, I would strongly
suggest you do your research on the real history of the time and pay very
close attention to the fact that in essence the outcome of the war was due
to the intervention of European powers.  Try to understand how the forces at
work in Europe play out in the New World and just how "British" Washington
and company actually were.  Furthermore, you might want to expand your focus
to look at the other European colonies in the New World, i.e. the colonies
that later united to become Canada, Latin America and the Carribbean.  Try
not to focus just on what is now the U.S.  If you really want to have fun,
why move up the date of the South America revolutions?
    The reason I am saying this is that one of my private peeves about the
background of Deadlands is that it downplays the power of the British Empire
to an absurd extent without giving sufficient information as to why.
Admittedly, the focus of the game is concentrated in the American West and
therefore far removed from the Limeys, but then the game also has the French
Foreign Legion and Chinese martial artists.  Therefore, I would like to
suggest that you try and get a feel for the true historical background
before you invent a new one.
    My second suggestion is you start deviating from real history at the
Battle of Chesapeake Bay.  The British lost the battle to the French owing
to some terrible stupidity.  They could easily have won.  Had they done so,
Cornwallis would not have lost at Yorktown.
    My third suggestion is that you remember war is very costly.  The Ancien
Régime in French went broke paying for the American Independence and the
French Revolution was the result.
    My two cents worth.
          Daniel
"Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all."
     Hamlet, Act III, scene i.