[DL] playing card resolution for d20

first off, i know nothing of the first game. i pretty sure playign cards were a big part of it, but im not sure how. but sure enough their was a huckster in our party who couldnt resist adding a little atmosphere by constantly shuffling a deck of cards. it got to where it was hard for him to roll dice to make hexslingin' checks, so i told cut high card, setting the value he had to cut based on the level of the hex. an hour or so later it evolved further still when one of our gunslingers challenged a lueitenent villian to a quickdraw duel. he said he didnt want to roll, but play a hand of poker to see who won. since they were evenly matched, it seemed fair(roll of the dice, flip the card, its all random anyway). i even had a maverick play a hadn of blackjack to see if she made a save. they left an hour ago and ive tried converted the entire d20 resolution system to using playing cards ratehr than varius dice. something i will experiment with next week. i was wondering if other things like this have been tried, or perhaps a little info on how it was done in the old system, if at all.