RE: [DL] New Mad Science Gizmo!

>------------------------------
>Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:10:58 -0400
>From: Frempath2@netscape.net
>Subject: RE: [DL] New Mad Science Gizmo!
>
>Sounds quite a bit like the Webley-Fosbury automatic revolver of 1901.
>http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/wby_pics.html
>has photos of the Webley Fosbury, a Webley with a stock, and the 1893 speedloaders, along with a number of photos of other various Webley's.
>
>g'day
>frempath

Yep, and that's part of where I got the idea from.  There was also a real life "Wilkinson-Webley" Revolver (A *FAR* more traditional revolver!) that the Wilkinson Sword Company asked Webley to design for them when swords were starting to loose their popularity with British Officers for carrying into battle.

Anyhow, the Webley-Fosbury was an attempt to make the Revolver almost the equal of a Semi-Automatic Pistol, in the fact that you don't need to "Recock" the gun after every shot.  IIRC, The recoil of the blast would work the mechanism that would recock the hammer, and move the cylinder to the next round, thus negating the heavy double-action trigger pull that hounded Webley Revolvers.  As mud and grit would get into the groves of the cylinder, and it was developed for "The Great War", it didn't work out too well.  It did, however, appear to work well as a regular Double-Action revolver, however.

And, frempath, thanks for the link!  I had missed this site somehow!!!  :-)

Ray.