Re: [DL] fate chips & the PIt

--- Jeff Shoffner <shoffner@esper.com> wrote:
> >Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:21:52 -0700
> >From: cheyennewright@attbi.com
> >Subject: [DL] Stumped by a player
> >
> >Maybe this is covered somewhere and I'm just to
> lazy to find it but a
> player
> >in my game asked me a good question...
> >
> >Do scrappers in the pit (in Junkyard) suffer the
> same fate chip penalties
> >that dueling gunslingers do?
> >
> >This may be a good question for the HOE list but I
> thought I'd ask here
> >first.
> >
> >Cheyenne
>

> Huh!!! You know, I think that has never been brought
> up before!  After much
> consideration, I'd say I'd let my scrappers use fate
> chips due to the fact
> that they'd be physcially moving around, dodging &
> whatnot, while a gun duel
> is more like two folks staring down each other,
> trying their best to break
> the other, & then quickly slapping leather &
> shooting fast, rather than
> shooting & dodging out of the way.  Yeah, I know
> fate chips aren't meant
> like a "Dodge' attempt, but I see burning off wounds
> with chips being like
> "He would've hit you, but you just so happened to
> move a little to the left,
> & the bullet made a nice, neat hole in your duster."
> type deal.
>
> Jeff S

That's the same logic I use for any combat. "Well, you
were ambushed and he shot you from behind but your
fate chips make it so that his aim was just off enough
to graze/miss you, only tearing through your coat."
Same use. For me, it comes down to the duel. In both
the gun-duel and the pitfight the characters are
dueling. All the posturing and psyching out that is
done in the moments before the lead flies is also done
in the arena. Stare-downs, insults, and whatever else
are used in both places. That's why I think the two
situations are congruous.

Jim