RE: [DL][OT-ish] Interesting Thought: World without Gunpowder

---- deadlands@gamerz.net wrote:

> > >Earlier today, a friend and I were discussing
history, and I brought up the
> > >notion of a world where gunpowder was never
discovered/simply didn't
> > work/etc.

> Besides, with no black powder in the 1200s, no
gunpowder/dynamite/TNT/etc. in the 19th century,
where would methane/air/whatever technology be in the
19th century? Feasible applications (read
that, "weapons") wouldn't appear overnight, most
likely, so Mankind would have to start
somewhere/when. And in that time, people would use
and improve upon what they already had: swords, bows,
pointy things in general.

> So, with that minor (and yet, not-so-minor)
correction, let's try this again... :)

> Derek
> --

Just some thoughts:

Pikes and high powered crossbows would have killed
off armored calery even without guns, but maybe a
little slower.
Fortification would have stayed like old castles
rather then earth embankment for a while longer.

I think that lacking gunpowder, steam powered weapons
would have taken the place of battleships, artillery
and tanks, with steam enginns being developed along
side or in place of gas powered vehicals, something
that almost happened real world.
The Navies of this would be close to real world steam
driven ironclades, while the armies would use
lumbering steam driven tanks with rapid fire steam
powered machine guns and slow but powerfull steam
cannons. Since steam cannons probally lack power at
range and steam engins are too heavy for heavier then
air craft, blimps would be both the transports and
the only armed crafts, gas powered planes would be
limited to a pilot and a crossbow armed gunner.

Steam powered weapons would have been ineffective as
man portable versions, so blades would stay cutting
edge tech, half armor like the conquisidors wore
would stay in fashion, a helmet and breastplate to
protect the vitals while allowing the arms and legs
free moment, Thick rapiers (I think they called them
Estocs) with triangular shaped blades would be the
perfured sword since they could punch through even
plate armor. Pressurized air guns could not punch
through armor until later developments, so they would
not be used much on battlefield, but for self defence
they could easily take the place of a pistol.