RE: [DL] Question on Black Powder, Cap and Ball Revolvers

As to the question "What is a loading lever?".
Lets cover a few other items at the same time.
Open these webpages in new windows for further reference:
Colt
http://www.midcoast.com/~mystical/Army.htm
Remington
http://www.cs.uit.no/~ken/images/big/remington.jpg

In one picture you see two of the model 1860 army revolvers by Colt.
First, you will note that the cylinder is exposed at the top.  That is there is no frame holding it in.  This is what makes the colt and its copies of the "open frame" style as opposed to the "solid frame" type.
On the open frame revolvers the barrel is not attached to the rest of the revolver and is held in place by a wedge of metal which goes through the barrel assembly and the cylinder pin, upon which the cylinder rotates.
If you look under the barrel in this picture, you will see two cylinders of metal.  One is nearly as long as the barrel.  The other is very short.  You will notice that these two cylinders appear to be connected by a flat piece of metal.  They are.  The longer of the two cylinders is the loading lever.   The shorter of the two is the plunger.  If you look at the front of the loading lever you will see a clip which holds the loading lever against the barrel when not in use.  The loading lever is uncliped from the barrel and folds down to force the plunder back into the cylinder.  That is what compresses the powder charge and projectile.

The other picture is of the Remintion model 1858.
Note how the frame of the pistol goes all the way around the cylinder and that the barrel is part of the pistol as a whole.  This makes it a "solid frame" revolver.  Also you can see there is no wedge holding the pistol together.  The loading lever and plunger are much as on the colt.
Its a little hard to see in this picture, but at the back of the loading lever you see something sticking out.  This is actually a handle for the cylinder pin, upon which the cylinder rotates.  When the loading lever is swung down partially, the cylinder pin may be removed. and the cylinder removed.  This was how the percussion cylinder could so easily be replaced with a cartridge cylinder after the war.

As a personal note from using replicas.
The Colts fire the most naturally and are the most accurate for that reason.
The Remingtons are strongest and easiest to maintain.
The LeMat is the most fun and has the largest capacity.  It is however the most delicate and finicky to maintain.

G'day
Kevin Jameson