[DL] Re: Eptitaphs and reprinted material

Marguerite wrote:

> --- Hank Woolsey <hwoolseylists@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I kind of have a problem with paying for d20
> > material in the Epitaphs from products I already
> > own.
>
> Neither do I, but I buy them anyway, the same way I
> buy a 32+ page Knights of the Dinner Table issue for
> it's 14 pages of strips.  If you don't use or
> support
> one product line in an Epitaph, think of those pages
> as advertising space and not "lost value."

As I said, I have, and expect sometime to use, all
three Pinnacle lines. I have no problem at all with
all lines in one book. (Except, I expect, when I will
get in one of those moods where all I really want is
Weird West [or one of the other lines], but it will be
easy enough to only read the parts I want.)

> Shane needs to be able to publish each brand line's
> bits and pieces in the most cost effective
manageablet; managable, or those pieces won't get
published at
> all.
>  Buying a book which contains content you yourself
> don't use isn't a novel idea to any of us, I would
> imagine.
>
> I, personally, don't want to support the D20 product
> lines, but I do want to support Shane.  Just like
> some
> other person only wants D20 material still purchases
> an EpDeadlandspite it's original DeadLands material.

Again, I have no problem with dual statting. PEG has
not "originally; much of my space. I orginially was
very dubious of the approach, after buying another
company's dual-statted adventure and finding that
fully one-third was d20 stats, which I will not use.
PEG products have had a much lower ratio than this,
for which I am grateful.

> Everyone has to make their purchasing decisions
> based
> on their own financial wherewithall, and Shane has
> do the same with his publishing.  The combined
> Epitaph's make sense, and, like Allen said, have
> great
> cross-pollination possibilities.

Yes, we do. However, for me, and I suspect other DL
Classic and DL d20 users, putting d20 stats for
already published materials (I believe the example
Shane gave was Bloody Ol' Muddy) will decrease the
perceived value of the Epitaph. Especially when the DL
d20 users will have to buy an Epitaph (at whatever the
price will be) and the original product (in this case,
at $20 for the print version), whereas if the d20
stats were available for a nominal fee, the perceived
value both of the product and of the d20 player to
PEG, would be increased. This could also increase the
perceived value of the Epitaph, as it would contain
more new material.

first
I've been supporting PEG since DL was firts issued. I
want to continue doing so, and a major reason for this
is that Shane listens to fan input. Do I expect him to
change everything to please me? Dear God, no. Do I
hope he will consider the impact this attitude might
have on sales of the Epitaph? Yes. Do I hope he will
continue to value input of this type? Yes.

Realistically, I will probably buy the Epitaph even if
this material is included. Prior to learning about
this material, the "probably" wasn't in that sentence.
I don't mean this as any kind of threat, just a
reaction to the announcement, which I thought was
worth mentioning.

Hank Woolsey