RE: [DL] Workin For the Other Side Part 2

 New Edges and Hinderances

Bei’n bad ain’t easy, so you need all the help you can get, course bei’n bad aint without it’s drawbacks either. pick up yer necessary skills here.

EDGES

Reckoning  (EDGE)

Your characters personal connection with the Reckoners, all Villans start out with 1 skill level in this Edge . Points in this edge can be awarded by the marshal or exchanged for bounty as per normal, any advancement in this edge comes in the form of a divine inspiration, makes for some interesting tale telling..

1)      At level 1 the character has always been bad, and seems to be trouble waitin for a place to happen, weather or not they have ever been caught is up to you. They don’t know why they do what they do, they just always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2)      If there’s trouble pie cookin you can smell it from a good mile down the trail, and normally want your portion, don’t matter who’s holding it, you go about your work with a purpose, not sure what it is yet but surely somewhere you’ll find it in someone’s guts.

3)      Your character knows that some great force guides their actions, though your not sure exactly what, but what ever it is it does seem to bring you what you want,  cause there are only so many things a man should know about where he’s goin and somehow, every now and then, you get that vital insight in to a place or an opponent, from out of the blue.

4) “Yup pardner there are things out there in what them injuns call the hunting grounds, not sure exactly what they want in the end but I know that I have a part to play in their plans, I take care of some business for em and I reap the spoils. Your characters here are given instructions in dreams or visions, make a cognition roll to see how well they understand the intended message.

5)  Stone knew it, still might if he’s out there, the reverend did to, The Reckoners are commin and hells commin with em, I have a part to play, and until I find some do goodin possee with skill enough to put a bullet in me and keep me down then I will serve my masters until they come into there own, it’s a free road, come with me if ya want.

Daddy’s Girl/ Boy (Edge)

Your character has a parent in high places, if they get into trouble with the law (which let’s face it is very likely) normally the mention of their daddy’s name is enough to influence some reaction. Exactly who the parent is has to be up to the marshal if they will allow it. The severity of that action is dependant upon the number of points the character has in the edge.

1)      This cell ain’t comfy but it don’t leak when it rains neither.

2)       Ok son, so you can have a blanket and the softest mattress we got, cell 3.

3)      Probably just an oversight, ill have to hold ya but I’m sure we can brighten up the cell, plus the foods not bad, you understand.

4)      Well, I tend to find that folks round here are all to quick to blame the new comer to town, you say your staying in the saloon? Well I’ll do some investigating and come and find ya, just don’t leave town.

5)      I’m sure they had it commin sir, you probably did us a favor by taking them down, ill just go make sure their friends ain’t planning any trouble for ya.

HINDERANCES

Stabbed In The Back: Your character will do almost anything to get one up on his fellow villains or to get a bigger slice of the pie, from having them framed to blatantly shooting them on payday, again the severity of this hindrance depends on the number of levels you have in it.

-1) You’ll keep the change from the bar when one of yer buddies buys you a round and lure them in to a bad bet knowing that you can collect on the odds.

-2) “yea man those kids just took off with yer horse (slyly pocketing the cash from the butchers), I’d go crack some heads if I were you.

-3) “What in god’s name were you thinking going into a bank job with no bullets in yer gun?, Don’t you know them tellers are armed these days”?

-4) “Sheriff, I understand yer looking fer this man & His Band of villains, well I know where there hiding, but the info aint gonna come cheap.

-5) “Well gentlemen, a job well done, about 3000 a head I’d say, lets have a drink to celebrate”

“hey Gerald, this beer tastes funny”

The Big One

The Villain with this hindrance longs for the  big score or win, and will go to some ridiculous lengths to try and get it. It might be a victory over a certain hombre, or a taming of a certain kinda critter, or even just the biggest heist the west has ever seen. All that is fine, it’s just that everyone needs to know about it.

Seeing as this hindrance is kind of self explanatory you can simply take yer extremities from 1-5 as you see fit.

NEW SKILLS

Reckoning – Can refer to an area of occult knowledge, ie how much your character actually knows about the reckoners and their part in this world, ie

Level 1) your character knows that the world is bad enough and that there seems to be a trend towards evil and strangeness, maybe God is getting ready to clear out again, better be on the right side.

Level 5) The Reckoners as described in the Marshals Handbook *note only followers of Raven can take this knowledge at level 5.

Villainous Company,

 An introductory adventure for a villains Campaign, any posse members should stop reading here so as not to spoil the marshals hard work when he takes you bunch of hell raisers out on the trails. Marshals should read this here adventure through and get to know it a little so you can take the rough with the smooth during game time.

The Scenario is divided up into several sections, UP TILL NOW details the past events up until the possees intervention, THE SETUP gives you some ideas on how to get yer villains into the scenario, and the subsequent chapters detail the game scenario.

THE STORY SO FAR

This lil tale takes place in Arizona but it’s beginnings go back to Huston Texas and the home of “Judge David Gabriel”. A circuit judge with a  reputation for zero tolerance and hard justice. Slightly unorthodox in his methods but renown for his law keepi’n dedication and even rumored to have single handedly beat back some of the “Strange Critters” which now walk the trails, the Judge enjoys nothing more than keeping order where there is none, and restoring peoples faith in the law system.

Not that his attitude is exactly ideal, you break the law, and you get shot, you commit a capital crime and you just might find out what that piece of tethered rope is for around his right arm.

It’s worth pointing out at this time that the judge isn’t exactly a non-conspicuous character. As he stands today the mere sight of him is enough to scare most folks. He stands a towering height of 7’6”, always dresses in a black duster with matching low brimmed hat, and is never seen without The jury And Executioner (his twin side arms and rifle). There is always a tethered old piece of rope around his right arm which he personally hangs those who commit the most hellish crimes with by dangling em from his tree-trunk of a wrist.

Ok so they guy is a little sinister, but the fact remains that when this circuit judge rolls into town people feel safe and law breakers run for cover.

The judge once pledged to not rest until the law was restored to the west, at the hands of a Mr Chance Black (whom we will come to later) he got to test his pledge. After being defeated by this Huckster, David rose up with a new vengeance and passion not only to find Mr Black and send him on his merry way, but to uphold the very essence of the law in the west. Every town he now visits better have a good sheriff because they tend to be first in the firing line if things are not up to scratch.

He is also Guardian of a certain small item he took from a confrontation with Nickademus Whateley. Both survived the encounter, but not without a price.

But now on to Mr Chance Black. A student of hoyles book of games, this huckster has to be the most unlucky son of a B**** to ever walk the trails. Originally from Louisiana, Mr black took to the arts at a very young age being a swift and competent student. His only problem was that, due to nothing but bad luck, every time he cast (and indeed still casts) a hex, he draws a black joker. Thus being possessed by several mantou over the course of the years have somewhat made this Huckster a little card shy. Fortunately he is also a proficient gambler so can keep himself in finery  and can draw his pistol with enough prowess to keep himself alive. However he loathes conflict and prefers to hire people to do his dirty work rather than soil his own hands.

His run in with the afore mentioned Judge was over a mere attempt at bribery, Chance had heard that the judge may be carrying one of the decks of cards used by the legendary huckster, Nickademus Whateley and offered to buy them. The judge swiftly informed mr black that offering to purchase evidence was an offense and was going to extract the appropriate sentence, in a freak moment mr black drew his cards and loosed a life ending hex to mr Gabriel, or so he thought.

Chance Searched the fallen body of the judge to no avail and went on his way unknowing that the Judge was to rise a few hours later and begin the pursuit of Mr. Black .

And so the trail leads us to Arizona, where chance is still running, and Gabriel is still pursuing, though from what chance has heard, Gabriel s still carrying the cards. The truth is that the Judge new the value of these cards so severed his own flesh and has hidden the cards inside his thigh (you can choose weather or not the posse discovers this).

So enter our villains, maybe whilst just wandering the trails or indeed whilst around a camp fire in the middle of the Arizona desert. This will be their first encounter with Chance Black, the below descriptions are simply examples, wing it as much as you like.

The fire burns low and the bed rolls sure do look appealin, course whos gonna be stupid enough to fall asleep first, not exactly saintly company you keep. So you spys this hombre, commin in out of the shadows, not to tall but walkin with a purpose.

“Whoa son, wheres the fire? Ease up off that there pea shooter, im done killin tonight, just the fire looks appealing and I need somewhere to warm my coffee, whatcha say”?

“so what brings you out to this god forsaken nowhere, ain’t none of my business anyhow, however, I do have some business I would want to put the way of some fine fightin folks like yerselves.

Thanks for readin, give me some feed back.

Regards

Peter King