Re: [DL] The Worldview

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 11:26  AM, Brom Clancy wrote:
>> I think you're really drifting into the 'pulp' genre
> more than Western here...<
>
> I don&#8217;t think I can stop that, pulp fiction was
> written by people who grew up reading dime novels and
> Victorian fiction, and I grew up reading the Pulp
> fiction, I don&#8217;t think I can avoid adding
> in &#8220;backwards echoes&#8221; when some pulp elements are
> written into the system.
>
> Deadlands is steampunk set in a Western horror game,
> If you add Captain Nemo to it, it will start to drift
> back toward Victorian literature, but a crazed Mad
> scientist destroying warships to end all war just
> fits into the Deadlands setting so well, its just the
> scale that don&#8217;t. Make captain Nemo a crazed miner in
> a minisub out to blow up both confederate and union
> naval vessel in the maze, and he fits in seamlessly.

Just a quick comment (I'll try to write more later)... The Clive
Cussler book Valhalla Rising has an interesting take on the Captain
Nemo concept...

<spoiler>

<really>

Basically, this book has Captain Nemo as the fictionalized account of a
real person who invented a range of amazing things. The heroes led by
Dirk Pit (Think Indiana Jones meets Jaque Cousteu) find the submarine
inspiration for Nemo's vessel in what can best be described as a Mad
Scientist's lair in the modern day. There's some other, less relevant,
plot threads, too.