Re: [DL] Obscure references and resulting joy.

Spoilers...

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:32:25 -0500 "Matt Maybray" <reginald_q_bumbershoot@hotmail.com> writes:
> >Over the last few months I have read through the bulk of classic
> deadland's
> >published matter.  I am remembering running across a small
> reference to a
> >relic that was active in the hands of a martial artist.  I believe
> it was a
> >staff of some sort.  And now, I cannot locate the reference, and
> I'm not
> >even sure what book it's in.  Does anyone have a cure for my
> brainfart?
> >
> If I'm not mistaken, it's in the Deadlands Dispatch at the back of
> Back
> East: The South (at least I'm reasonably sure that's right....)

 It sure is from BE:S
 here's what it says.

"The Staff of Hop Li

Hop Li was one of the heroes of the 37th Chamber of the Shaolin Temple in California. Note I say was, this brave monk died recently while defending a number of small Chinese communities just south of Shan Fan. These towns were being harassed by a patrol of Guardian Angels who came by on a regular basis demanding tribute for their master back in Lost Angels. Hop Li easily whupped their tails with his chi powers and sent them slinking south. Grimme must not have cared for this very much, because the next patrol that showed up in the settlements was accompanied by the Angel o’ Death and some other high-ranking Angels. Hop Li put up one Hell of a fight, but he was hopelessly outnumbered and soon fell to the black powers of the Angels. The battle took place on top of a cliff overlooking the Maze, and as the monk died, he hurled his staff over the edge into the swirling waters below. In the hands of most warriors this weapon performs just like an ordinary staff, but in the hands of an enlightened warrior the staff shows its true abilities. By spending a ch’i point, the staff’s user can make two attacks per action with the staff for an entire round. By spending 2 ch’i points and getting a running start of at least 5 yards, the warrior can use the staff to vault up to 30’ in the air. Landing from this jump requires only a Fair (5) Nimbleness roll."