RE: [DL] has anybody done the martial artist or voodoist for d20?

I agree that's what it says in the rules but when dealing with the modern
mileu it's advisable to up the reality level with a little lateral game
design, i.e. think outside the box, the box in this case is the rules in the
PHB.

In surprise situations I deliniate betwee total surprise from partial
surprise situations. Total surprise is when the targets are completely
unprepared for the attack, they were just traisping along walked smack dab
into an ambush. Before they can react the lead is flying and folks is dying
all before the sentries can even raise a hue or a cry. Complete surprise
encounters are few and far between in my games as my players are usually too
terrified to scout ahead. Of course they have on occasion fallen victim to
an ambush or three for the same reason. Anywho, in these cases ranged or
melee coup de grace attacks have to be possible otherwise cool Hollywood
moments would never happen. Ever see Commando or Predator? It looked to me
the jungle rebels weren't rookies but they went down pretty quick. How'd
this happen? Simple, a precisely executed (pun) ambush, i.e. coup de grace
attacks, that's how.

In partial surprise situations the ambushees are expecting an attack but
they're unprepared just the same. In these cases I don't allow coup de grace
attacks of any kind.

That's my take on it.

--
Joseph C. Wolf