Re: [DL] You have to pay to play

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:33:55 -0500 Brett Dixon <balance@tubas.net> writes:
> No, this isn't about charging access fees to games. I'd be more
> likely
> to end up paying my players for the abuse I give them, but then
> again i
> usually buy the sodas, so all is well.
>
> If you aren't a marshall, you may want to skip this one...

> Anyway, my posse is heading to new orleans to find a widget I
> described
> earlier, To do so, they will need to enter a high-stakes and very
> exclusive game run by and for manifested demons that I've decided
> takes
> places on rare special nights in the ghostly remains of a burned out
>
> tavern that no one seems to want to rebuild on.
>
> Anyway, this sounds good so far, and since I have both a 'gambler'
> Huckster and a Blood Mage this plot seems amusing.  But one
> challenge I
> want to add is an 'entrance fee' and I'm having some trouble here...
> so
> far my best idea is that it can only be paid in 'stolen gold' so the
>
> mostly law-abiding posse will have to either become criminals or
> raid a
> thieves' den for the entrance fee. It has to be something relatively
>
> simple and quick (no fetch quest to resolve part of a larger fetch
> quest) but i want something that's got a properly occult feel to it
> let them know that they;re going into someplace dangerous where they
>
> aren't in charge and pulling a gun would be bad.
>
> Once they get in, they'll have to enter a low-stakes game for an
> hour
> or two to earn the ante for the higher stakes game (a soul) and
> between
> the two they'll be offered a nice faustian deal to lose in exchange
> for
> wealth, power, and the secret of how to be attractive to women and a
>
> 'good enough' widget to obtain their goal.
>
> So, any ideas for a suitably creepy entrance fee to a demonic poker
>
> game.

First of all, when you get it all written, I WANT IT!! TASTEY PLOT YUM
FUN! *DROOL* Wish I was playing... anyways...

Human sacrifice is always nice... Especially if they get a shopping list,
or randomly selected condition that thye have to hunt out first, like a
red headed preacher with a beard, or a blond baby with a birth mark,
things like that.

I really like the piece of there soul with the demon holding over there
heads... hmm... that could be literal too. "He ya go! get it! oh too
high? Here ya go... just kidding..."

The lost memory is a good one.

perhaps they sign a contract in blood "whats this signing a over?" "One
soul." "well shoot, alright." but its not there own. the soul of a loved
one is at risk.

Of course you could take all their powers away.

ha! Take their sight. let see them play cards now!

Hmmm.... are these smart demons? The posse signs over there souls... the
demons knock them over and take of their shoes and tear off the
bottoms......

How about their ability to sleep? they can't sleep until the end of the
tourny, but they still suffer fatigue.

Dave

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com