RE: [DL] Battery

Batteries would not be all that uncommon, though there were not many applications for batteries.  The biggie though is the telegraph.  Everywhere you have a telegraph station, you will have batteries.
Here is an snip describing one type of battery from "Modern Practice of the Electric Telegraph" by Frank L. Pope, 1871:

11. The Daniell Battery.--- This combination consists of a jar of glass or earthenware, F (fig. 3), about six inches in diameter and eight or nine inches high. A plate of copper, G, is bent into a cylindrical form, so as to fit within it, and is provided with a perforated chamber, to contain a supply of sulphate of copper in crystals, and a strap of the same metal with a clamp for connecting it to the zinc of the next element. H is a porous cup, as it is technically termed, made of unglazed earthenware, six or seven inches high and two inches in diameter, within which is placed the zinc, X. This is usually of the shape shown in the figure, which is called the ``star zinc,'' but it is often made in the form of a hollow cylinder, the latter giving greater power, but being somewhat more difficult to clean.

The outer cell is filled with a saturated solution of sulphate of copper (blue vitriol), and the porous cell with a solution of sulphate of zinc. A series of three elements connected together, as usually employed on American lines for a local battery, is shown at I.

The Full text, with illustrations can be found at:
http://sd.znet.com/~cdk14568/mpet/contents.html

g'day
frempath