[d20] RE: [DL] Problem with revised initiative [D20]

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of Paul-André Beaulieu
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 11:56 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Problem with revised initiative [D20]

A couple of details about that:

1- The new card initiative system doesn't involve a roll at all. It just
translates the initiative modifier into a number of cards.

2- In d20, characters/critters are always considered flat-footed until
they've had their first action in a combat.

<<Snip>>

Oops! I suppose I shoulda clarified my post. Sorry 'bout that. In
non-fantasy venues using the d20 engine I have the players & critters roll
every round as opposed to once at the beginning of combat. Makes the game
grittier and with all the fortune waxing and waning it feels more like an
action-adventure movie as opposed to a fantasy romp.

What I should have said is that when you roll initiative for the round,
initiative rolls that are 0 or less cause a character to hesitate and lose
their focus for one round. The FX are:

Character/critter limited to partial actions only.
Character/critter is left flat-footed meaning they lose their Dex bonus to
AC as well as access to certain defensive feats like Dodge.

Make more sense?

--
Joseph C. Wolf
Line Developer, Dark Heaven Legends d20