From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On Behalf Of Joey Fanning
Sent:
Tuesday, December 24, 2002 7:33 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] Setting poll

I want to create a new time setting for the Deadlands system to put up on my website, and I want to know which of these three you loyal fans like the best.

1.(1920s)The Screaming 20's

    The US's "great experiment, prohibition, has become a colossal failure as bootleggers from down south and the territories keep bringing in illegal liquor and the cops are corrupted by the mobs.  Men who would have become pinkertons years ago are now vice cops, vigilant and loyal officers whose duties are to stop the flow of alcohol in the US and bring down the family.  The CSA has no desire to stop their own bootleggers, and border disputes break out.  Meanwhile, the vice cops, border patrols, and mobsters have another set of "spirits" to worry about.  Could another civil war break out less than half a century after the first one ender and bring a premature reckoning?

2.(1960s)The Dead Scare

    After the atomic bomb brought an end to the weird wars, the forces of evil shifted allinces from nazi Germany to communist Russia, supplementing their already-strong military with undead hordes risen from all the world's armies.  The already-corrupt officials have become their own type of servitors, and nearly an entire continent has become a deadland.  The northern and southern US have put their differences aside for now and try to stop the sneak attacks, espionage, and sabotage that the russkies have attempted.  Their best help, however, is a mad scientist that will one day bring about an end to the world.  Throw in the fact that your own allies may be harrowed under red control, you may be a spy for another government, and the public must never know, and you have an unparalleled paranoia-fest.

3.(2000s)The War on Terror

    When a dual-national tragedy hits both USA and CSA soil, they join forces to take on their new common enemy--te Tailban.  In a modern setting, troops have all the machinery they need to take on their new foe--or so they thought.  The afghani rebels have taken over a large portion of the middle east with the help of creatures straight out of legend.  The armies of the west have their own secret weapon, though--the sykers, a newly perfected foot-soldier that is as effective as a heavily-armed squad of soldiers.  The USA has begun talks of using nuclear weapons if their ground war does not succeed, but will this transform all of the middle east into a deadland and tip the war--in favor of the bad guys?