Re: [DL] Civil War Banned from Knox County Schools

--- Joey Fanning <wraith530@comcast.net> wrote:
> It turns out that the year after I get out of my county's school system,
> they bought new U.S. history textbooks.  They had no information on the
> Civil War.  In addition, I've learned from my friends still attending
> that in place of civil war history, they're teaching 9/11 stuff.
> Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't everyone over the age of 7 know
> what happened?  My sister didn't even know what colors the different
> sides wore!  Now I must teach civil war history to all my friends.  Has
> anyone else been experiencing this?  I'm sure that the civil war is
> something that we're supposed to forget about in this time of abnormally
> high patriotism, but isn't one of the most important reasons to learn
> history to learn from the mistakes of the past?  The worst part is, I
> live in the south.

There has not been nor will there ever be a time when we should forget the
Civil War. Patriotism does not preclude respecting our history. You can't
respect it if you don't know it.

What is the name of the publisher and author of that text, if you have it?
Also, what county is this in, if you don't mind my asking?

Jason Young