Re: [DL] Civil War Banned from Knox County Schools

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 08:24  AM, Eric Avedissian wrote:

> What was the rationale for omitting the Civil War? Did they think by
> not
> mentioning it that war wouldn't exist? Sorry, but I don't buy it. I
> disagree with the school administration for not researching the
> textbook
> content before ordering the new books. It sounds lie PC Zombie MindFest
> again - if we just ignore the tragedy of slavery and the Civil War, we
> can magically pretend that it never happened. Baloney! It's kind of
> like
> those few who believe the Holocaust was a total fabrication.
> (shaking my head at the state of the world)

I've been shaking my head for similar reasons a lot lately. I think
Christmas leads to it, but that's way off topic.

This is especially sad, as I think a knowledge of history is slowly
becoming fashionable in the US... Maybe this is because of cause and
effect from the quality of US schools, but either way, it seems that
having a good grasp of history is, at least locally, a definite plus in
your favor. And many movies now seem to be based around historical
events, and as the well is drained they are resorting to less well
known events and periods.