Re: Re: [DL] Civil War Banned from Knox County Schools

--- markus.finster@chello.at wrote:
> Up to now, the Japanese have denied to deal with their past. The many
> atrocities of it's Army in China, Korea and elsewhere are something not
> to be talked about.

To an extent, this may be true. However, Japanese teachers have a motto --
every one of them, the same motto -- "We will never again send our
children to war."

Can we say the same in the various countries we hail from? Is it fair to
say the Japanese learned nothing from the experience of WWII?

And I haven't noticed any American presidents apologizing for what could
easily be viewed as one of the worst atrocities of WWII: the atomic
bombings. (Justify it if you want, the fact remains that we killed tens of
thousands of civilians in those attacks, an act which today our government
would no doubt characterize as "terrorist.")

Don't point judgemental fingers at other countries or cultures and their
view of history without careful consideration. We're all wrong, at least
part of the time, and our responsibility is to deal with our own issues,
not another country's. Condemn Japan if you wish, but you better make sure
you recognize and address the shortcomings in your own country's history
first.

Sorry for the soapbox, but this drifted into a topic which is a bit
sensitive to me.

Jason