[DL] Civil War starting point

Dear Joey,

It isn't free, but I'd recommend "Don't Know Much About the Civil War" as
the type of starting point you are describing.  It is organized similarly to
a "X for Dummies" type of book.  It's also kept at a basic level.  As to a
good intro book on a more academic level, I would defer to the esteemed Mr.
McGlothlin for the final answer.  Most of mine are multi-volume.

I hope this helps.

Matt DeForrest