RE: [DL] Back on topic

--- Fred Jandt <fajandt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hmm...hadn't thought about doing them that way. Was
> just going to do them in order from beginning to end.
>
> Thanks for the thought!

Although the good news is that after Night Train, you can just start over
however you want as the entire posse will have brand new characters! :-)

(Actually, my posse survived through some excellent play. Well, that and
the reputation of the adventure -- which they knew -- which put them into
a very cautious mode.)

One thought: don't let them know which DN they're playing at any given
time.

The Dime Novels follow a reasonable chronology, from Christmas '75 on, if
I'm not mistaken, so running them in order should work fine. You might
have to gloss a little or work a little to get them from location to
location, of course.

Pitfalls? Most of them have the weary-posse problem, in that reasonable
people won't. . . .

Spoiler space

.

.

.

.

.

. . . for example, pursue the Butcher after they've been torn up by his
creations in Independence Day, or chase down the train after being
brutalized in the town in Night Train. You get the idea. Make sure heroic,
curious, and loyal are in the posse's Hindrances, and you'll be able to .
. . persuade the players that they really do have to go on.

I /seriously/ had that problem in Night Train. I offered them the town's
reward money and presented the crying wife/mother/whatever to play on
their sympathies and they still sat at the table and said, "No way! You
would have to be crazy to go after that thing!" I replied, "Time's running
out!" and they answered, "Good!"

Hindrances got 'em, though. :-)

HTH,

Jason