[DL] Bodyguard

Question y'all,
Here's the situation, a few players of mine wear light dusters. They also
have the Bodyguard hex. So when taking damage how is that figured?

Here's how I ran it, giving the players their way until I could bounce it
off you guys.

PC takes damage. After a successful reliability roll on their dusters, the
damage die type is reduced, then the wounds are blocked by the bodyguard
hex. If any damage gets through the hex, they take, or chip.

I know the description doesn't state if the hex is on or around their body.
So it's probably up to each Marshal.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing.

PC takes damage. Wounds are blocked by Bodyguard. Any that gets through hits
their armor. After a successful reliability roll I subtract 2 wound levels
from the remaining wounds. They can chip or take them.

Another choice would be to roll two of the damage dice and subtract that.
2d6 for a pistol, 2d10 for a rifle, etc. But that would make for a lot of
rolling.

Any suggestions?