Re: [DL] Fudging

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 12:24  PM, Allan Seyberth wrote:
> Agreed on all points.
>
> I tend to cheat a lot less in Deadlands than in other games as
> Deadlands has the
> fate chip mechanic, which is sanctioned dice fudging anyway.

I don't cheat much, but I do occasionally. Deadlands is, to me, a nice
balance between the extremes of GM styles  I refer to as 'adversarial'
(Many D&D games, where the GM has strict rules. Hackmaster is a great
parody/example of this) and 'Iron Fist' (Call of Cthulhu, as well as
many World of Darkness games, where everything is at the GM's
discretion.) These loosely line up with rule-heavy and rule-light
systems, but not always. Fudging in CoC for example is almost
necessary... The system relies on the Keeper and Players working to
spin a good tale, and adherence to rules is secondary.

As I said, Deadlands sits well-balanced between these extremes.
Marshals are encouraged to make new stuff up to torture their posses,
but a specific mechanic exists for the Marshal to 'cheat' within the
rules.

The last time I fudged was in my HoE game last weekend. A posse of new
characters (A Law Dog and a Huckster fresh from the Weird West) faced
down 4 MiBD without much help. They needed it, so a few gattling
bullets mysteriously did negligible damage when they could have caused
maiming guts wounds. I pulled some punches, but the posse was still
stretched thin, and I stand by my decision.

it was for the good of the story.