Re: [DL] Bushwhacker Days

Thanks Justin.  While I do happen to like the Battle
Hymn of the Republic, here's one for you:

GOOD OL' REBEL SOLDIER
by Major Innes Randolph, C.S.A.

Oh, I'm a good old Rebel soldier, now that's just what
I am;
For this "Fair Land of Freedom" I do not give a damn!
I'm glad I fit against it, I only wish we'd won,
And I don't want no pardon for anything I done.

I hates the Constitution, this "Great Republic," too!
I hates the Freedman's Bureau and uniforms of blue!
I hates the nasty eagle with all its brags and fuss,
And the lying, thieving Yankees, I hates 'em wuss and
wuss!

I hates the Yankee nation and everything they do,
I hates the Declaration of Independence, too!
I hates the "Glorious Union" -- 'tis dripping with our
blood,
And I hates their striped banner, and I fit it all I
could.

I followed old Marse Robert for four years, near
about,
Got wounded in three places, and starved at Point
Lookout.
I cotched the "roomatism" a'campin' in the snow,
But I killed a chance o' Yankees, and I'd like to kill
some mo'!

Three hundred thousand Yankees is stiff in Southern
dust!
We got three hundred thousand before they conquered
us.
They died of Southern fever and Southern steel and
shot,
But I wish we'd got three million instead of what we
got.

I can't take up my musket and fight 'em now no more,
But I ain't a'gonna love 'em, now that's for sartain
sure!
I do not want no pardon for what I was and am,
And I won't be reconstructed, and I do not care a
damn!