Re: [DL] Sidekicks

At 06:42 PM 4/1/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Sure sure, but here we are talking about a hukster who want to have a side kick hukster with him, and I dont know how to react to that, for some where I dont like the idea, but dosent know why :oS

/J

Dear Jesper,

Actually, this seems a natural match if the sidekick is done right.  The thing that comes immediately to mind is that the sidekick would be the Huckster equivalent of the wizard's apprentice.  Give him the Kid Hindrance (and make him act like a real kid) and make sure that he can only cast the Hexes that his teacher has taught him.  If you're feeling generous, give him a hex that his teacher doesn't know (perhaps through the Tempest Knack) but doesn't know quite well enough for him to teach his teacher.  Perhaps he's a child prodigy and the character has to face down people who want to get him and corrupt him (or her).

If you want to be real cruel, saddle him with his master, who has gone a little round the bend due to backlash.

If you want to be evil, make the sidekick a jealous rival ("Ha!  You call THAT a hex?  Watch this!" -- insert the "Oh, no" moans from the rest of the posse here) who, for some reason, he won't abandon (Sweetheart's brother, saved his life -- there are a million schticks to choose from).

When you do the sidekick, however, don't set out to screw the player but, if the two of you sit down and think it through, the sidekick can provide a host of hooks for you to work with.

I hope this helps.  Take care.

Matt