Re: [DL] The Good, The Dead, and The Supported

> As I have said before I am extremely lucky.  MY FLGS is owned by a 25-30
> year gamer, it is managed by a 25-30 year gamer and our core group has
> something on the order of 190-200 collected years of gaming experience
> (yeah we are kinda big and rather old <grin>).  Hero gets supported,
> Deadlands gets supported, other games get supported.

My store is owned by an old Comic Fan who is a great guy but know's nothing
but comics. However it's run by a gamer in his eraly 30s and he usually
knows what's up. The fact that he told me Deadlands was unsupported threw
me.

> It is very true that D20 is taking up a large amount of the shelf space
but
> it is also true that I never see anyone buying it. I am sure people do but
> I doubt that many people buy every bloody book that comes out which is
what
> quite a few people do with Hero or Deadlands for example.  This store sold
> over 40 copies of the Hero 5th edition last year, sold out its order of
12+
> of the Champions genre book and had to order more.

D20 sells, wether we like it or not. Dungeons and Dragons will always be
big. Heck, I still love it and am getting into a game next month, but it
will be my first in D20. My store stocks a lot of D20 but it's mostly D&D
and then only the official stuff. The guy who runs the store has said that
he knows there is way to much D20 out there and tries to only get what looks
to be the better stuff or the stuff that people ask for.

> Currently Deadlands has a small problem though, with regards to that
store.
> Everyone who regularly plays it there has all the books they need (well,
> except me and Law Dogs but that's beside the point).

I think that's part of my problem. I'm comming to the table with a big stack
of books and the people who don't have them might be able to get by on mine.

> Not certain what to suggest about the shops that don't support you except
> to start buying mailorder and go back to them every month just to tell
them
> how much you spent on games via mailorder rather than in their shop.  If
> they don't support you then why on earth would you support them?

Like I said, he'll get me anything I want. He just doesn't stock it for the
shelves.

Talison