Re: [DL] Deadlands Reboot 2004 [Shane]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clint Black" <cblack@ohtinc.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [DL] Deadlands Reboot 2004 [Shane]

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:34:00 -0400
>  "Roger Bert" <deadlands@ameritech.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have picked up the Savage Worlds base book and it isn't
> > very useful as a
> > miniatures game (since the most important rules about
> > unit creation are
> > missing) and the system doesn't appeal to my local D&D
> > gamers for
> > role-playing. Evernight, your first release for SW is
> > basically a D&D
> > adventure book written with SW. This puzzles myself and
> > other local gamers
> > in my area because D&D in our opinion is always best
> > played with D&D rules.
> > It is what everyone is used to and everyone knows how to
> > play (mostly)
> > already. At this time I don't plan on picking up any more
> > SW stuff because I
> > don't think I will be able to get anyone I know to play
> > it. Gamers like what
> > they know.
>
> Odd, I'm a gamer.  I know D&D and I don't particularly like
> it.  Of course, I also know Savage Worlds, and I do like it.
> Perhaps gamers like what they like.  ;-)

Chuckle, I pretty much agree.  Fantasy Setting = D&D?  I don't think so!
There are many Fantasy Game Systems out there, and D&D, while the most
popular is _far_ from the best rules system.

I started with D&D way back when.  But the rules, while pretty good for when
they were created, really sucked once you got past the "this is really neat"
phase.  AD&D and AD&D 2nd ed. fixed some of the problems, but I still found
them frustrating and not worth playing.  There were such better rules out
there, which I converted the good D&D adventures (there are plenty of bad
ones) to systems I liked.  Around four or five years ago, I was talked into
playing D&D again ... after not playing it for over 10 years).  And with a
really good group of people.  I lasted almost a year ... mostly due to the
good gamers in the group ... but the rules (2nd ed.) finally drove me away,
and I have not played it since.

I took a quick look at the new d20 rules when they came out.  While in
general, they look much better than the old rules, they only caught D&D up
to the mid 80's - early 90's when compared other gaming systems.

I think Roger's statement about "Gamers like what they know" explains why
D&D is still so popular.  As a rules system, it should have died years ago.
Like Clint though, I like what I like.  I have Evernight ... but had it been
written for D&D (d20 or otherwise), I would probably not have bothered to
pick it up.

~ Mike