[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20030905

In a message dated 9/5/03 11:59:52 PM, owner-deadlands@gamerz.net writes:

<< Any tips for the new guy? My collection includes a passel of the Dime
Novels
which I plan on using for adventures plus a nice meta-plot cooked up by
myself to fill in the gaps.
As for the posse, we have a British Huckster, a Mexican Priest (blessed),
and a Austrian Mad Scientist. One more player has yet to make a character
and she is split between the Ugly as sin, short as a dollarcake Nun (also
blessed) and a Taoist-Martial Arts exorsist (also Blessed--with Enlightened
to boot). If she goes with the Taoist, I am goint to have to call the the
Ferner Posse (since the other three did take that hinderance) >>

if she goes martial artist, adjust the bullet catching power.   as written it
allows you to catch every bullet shot at you until your next actionfir a flat
number of chi points (and if you have throwin bullets, you can even toss them
all back immediatly IIRC).   this is just a little too good if a person can
walk out unarmed against 50 gunman, have them all open up at the same time
(like when the boss yells fire!) and have the martial artist not only survive, but
also take out all of them with a single one of her actions and a couple of
chi points.

personally I revised the cost to "per bullet caught" and didn't make it
require an action to prep, but that was me.

my advice? Deadlands is a good system and a good seting, but many of the
rules are a bit ambiguous and there are a lot of them, don't be afraid to make
marshall's calls about things that seem wrong or that you sholdn't take 5 minutes
to look up.   if any of the players gives you guff about it, say "it's in the
rulebooks, just not any of the parts YOU can read" and smile ominously.
then kill them for talking back to the marshall.