Re: [DL] Newbie help

--- Glen Engel-Cox <engelcox@gmail.com> wrote: > (Er, I'm assuming that
people are familiar with the "Ticked Off"
> scenario since it's posted on Pinnacle's web site.  I probably should
> put spoiler space in here just in case there's them dern fool posse
> members reading this and not a bunch of marshals . . .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .

Hi Glen,

The fact it says an opposed roll is unusual and makes me suspect that
they actually mean it to work differently from normal combat.   So I
personally would go with the one raise as it suggests and run the
Prarie Ticks attack as different from the normal melee.  Therefore, the
actual TN for the Prarie Tick is set by the Gunslingers roll and not
the usual TN 5+Fightin' aptitude.

That said, I'd still apply size modifiers and hit location modifers to
the rolls. In general, I would tend to apply small target modifiers
only when it is part of a larger target.  A small target tends to be
harder to hit than a creature of the same size, however I figure this
factors in the movement of the small target and it sometimes being
partially obscured by other items of the larger target (i.e. arm in
front of heart/eye/mouth etc.).

So for man to hit the prarie tick I'd just go for the size modifiers.
The Prarie Tick is trying to hit a far larger target and so should get
a bonus to it's hit roll, not a penalty; then the penalty for
targetting the mouth would be applied.

So

The Man = Fightin': Brawlin' roll - Size modifier for Tick
The Tick = Fightin': Brawlin' roll + Size modifier for Man - mouth hit
location penalty

Compare the two and if the Tick's value is 5 more than the mans, then
it's down his throat.

I don't have my books in front of me and so I cannot give actual
values, but that's the way I would run it.

Cheers

Roy