RE: [DL] Fanning, Single and Double action pistols and now evenmore

I own an 1885 Winchester lever shotgun it is an amazingly built gun! No reliability issues ever found with it. As far as paper shells versus metal shells.... the paper shells are almost a type of cardboard and pretty durable but I could see where an over zealous cowboy might crunch a shell in the action if he did not work the lever fully.

Other side note to period weapons the 1885 shotgun and 60', 66', and 73' lever action rifles all eject out the top, so anyone wanting to shoot one while hiding under something that might block the ejection port has just caused a possible jam. No ususall a problem but something to think about.

Somewhere in the books it says that lever action long arms can be "fanned"
with the same penalties as a pistol.  The rifles actually have an advantage
in having more rounds per load so you aren't gonna be empty as fast.

In play we only had one hang up.  Non-lever action rifles didn't seem
shafted by being slower to fire.  The hitch was the lever action shotgun
that was found.  Damn that made a mess of a bad guy on a good shootin' roll.
'Course it only held four rounds, so it did empty quick.  I'm not familiar
with the weapon in real life history, whether it had reliability issues or
not.  I did rule that it had to use metal cased shotgun rounds -- whether
factual or not I decided that the paper cased rounds might crumple or
deform.  This weapon was no more of a problem than the one Colt revolving
rifle with insanely high damage dice... and I could always use them
_against_ the players...

Jeff Y.

--
I used to be Schizophrenic but we're okay now!