Re: [DL] New Marshal New Posse - Minor Spoilers

> On 10/30/04 7:17 AM, "GalBeagle@aol.com" <GalBeagle@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm new to the setting as well, and my advice is simple: Find one or two of
> the supernatural aspects to focus on, and ignore the rest until MUCH later.
> That's what I'm doing, my campaign is going to focus initially on a few
> monsters, and on the rail wars, and specifically Iron Dragon Rails. Aside from
> that, other concerns are purely mundane, sheep vs cattle ranchers, non-magical
> indian problems, etc. I'll add a smattering of other things bumping in the
> night, but that will be just for flavor. I like your plan of keeping them
> guessing about the supernatural aspect of the game. And your plot works well
> with that.

Interesting... (This is not a condemnation of the slow introductory approach
by any means!) But when I ran DL way back when for a new group, they were
really surprised when the first adventure was mundane! :-) And a little
bored (Perhaps they knew a bit more about DL than your players...) They kept
saying stuff like: "I thought it was the WEIRD West?!" :-)

But that was just one experience. And you've both mentioned having slightly
weird in your tales. I believe my mistake was the story was entirely
mundane. :-\ (I've learned from that lesson though! :-)

Take care,

Derek